Thursday, August 6, 2009

My First Community Pharmacy Placement

when we, the 1st year of Pharmacy students were told that we will be having placements in both community pharmacy and hospital pharmacy in semester 2, i was terrified. what if i did something stupid and embarrassing. what if my preceptor hates me and evaluates me badly. what if i look like a dumb ass in the pharmacy not knowing a single drug name.
i should have reminded myself that i am in 1st year not in 4th year... hahhaha...

being the last among my pharmacy friends to start the placement, i heard many experiences of theirs and some were good and some were utterly bad which totally shattered my confidence. before i left for home this morning, i could not get myself in proper as i was scared.
School of Pharmacy uniform.

i even told my housemate that ' i would rather sit for an exam or to debate instead of going to the pharmacy. yeah you would have expected what kind of responses they gave me. 'stupid shen'..

but thankfully my placement turned out to be fine, not as bad as i had expected. though i stood in the dispensary for two hours observing them only ( as required by our module) i learnt many things. i was impressed. my very first time to be impressed by this profession. i even realised that a pharmacist can seriously earn a lot. a pharmacy usually receives 200 over prescriptions over a day and that would be approximately four thousands dollars a day ( assuming each prescriptions worth twenty dollar- which is obviously untrue cause i seen some cost nearly sixty over). that equally means AUS 120000 in a month. minus all those employee's wages, shop maintenances, electric and water bills and stocks, it would still be more than AUS 100000. holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! . well, that technically applies in Australia only. pharmacists over here are highly recognised and professional. now i know why i have a course mate from China who graduated with a Bachelor of Surgery opt to study for pharmacy. WOOT!!! that's like the first time i heard a person switching from medicine to pharmacy. according to him, a pharmacist earns more in his country. WOW! can i work in aussie please???? i would be rich! =)

now i am crossing my fingers that Malaysia will give the dispensing power to the pharmacists instead of the doctors ( don't be furious with me doctors. hehehe) at least, pharmacists there would be doing something more. just like the one i saw today.

xoxo,
shen.

No comments: